Search site

School of Process, Environmental and Materials Engineering

Chemical and Energy Engineering MEng, BEng

MEng BEng Chemical and Energy Engineering - undergraduate degree


The world’s population has an insatiable appetite for energy, much of which still comes from fossil fuels. These fuels generate carbon dioxide, resulting in global warming. Consequently, they need to be burnt more efficiently and cleanly, while at the same time renewable and sustainable sources of energy need to be developed.

This course provides chemical engineering students with specialist knowledge and skills in the field of energy production to pursue a successful career in the chemical, energy and related industries.

UCAS Code: H801 (MEng, BEng) or H806 (BEng)
Our students typically undertake the integrated masters (MEng, BEng) as this is the most direct route to becoming a Chartered Engineer (CEng).
Industrial placements: Yes
Study abroad: Yes
Course duration: 3 or 4 years depending on option taken.
Start date: September
Course fees: UK/EU: £9,000 International: £16,500
Information about living expenses and financial support can be found on the University's website.
Scholarships: Scholarships and bursaries worth up to £8,000 available.
Accreditation: This course is accredited by the Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) and is recognised by the Engineering Council for the purposes of meeting in full the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.


2015 entry
This course is available for entry in September 2015.
2015 entry requirements: A*AA at A-level including Mathematics and Physics or Chemistry. A-level equivalencies tbc.
Fees and scholarships: tbc.


The tables below show the modules that you will study if you commence your studies in September 2013. This information is taken from the University Programme Catalogue, which is a tool designed for current students to select modules.

If you are looking to start your studies in September 2014 a list of modules is available in the 2014 brochure.

This is an indicative list and actual content may vary as we regularly review the content or our courses in light of new experiences and developments in the field.

Career options

Careers in the field of Chemical Engineering are wide-ranging, and employment prospects are excellent. Recent graduates have successfully secured positions in chemical and pharmaceutical companies, fossil fuel and renewable energy plants, mineral processing and metals recycling operations, as well as other areas such as the utilities, consulting, environmental, health and safety, and other government agencies and banking and finance.

Recently published results from IChemE’s Salary Survey 2012 revealed good news for graduate chemical engineers. The survey found that chemical engineering is the best paid of the engineering disciplines with 2011 graduates earning a median starting salary of £28,000 per year, making it the third highest paying degree course after medicine and dentistry.

Entry requirements

Entry requirements for the integrated masters (MEng, BEng) and the standalone BEng are the same.

A-level: AAA including Mathematics and Physics or Chemistry.

Engineering Diploma: Grade A (plus A or above in A-level Mathematics, Physics or Chemistry).

BTEC Extended Diploma: D*DD including an appropriate amount of level 3 Mathematics and Physics or Chemistry.

IB: 35 points overall, with 18 points at higher level to include 5 points in higher level Mathematics and Physics or Chemistry.

We also welcome and accept students with a wide range of alternative UK and international qualifications.

English language requirements: GCSE English Language grade C (or above) or an equivalent recognised English Language qualification.

How to apply

All undergraduate applications should be made through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Services (UCAS).

MEng only
If you are an International (non-EU/EEA or Swiss citizen) applicant who has applied for, or intends to apply for, this course within the Faculty of Engineering and require a student visa to study in the UK then you will require an ATAS certificate.

If you require any further information please contact our admissions team,
e:, t: +44 (0)113 343 6542.