This page provides information and links about many of the formal requirements for students over their research degree.
On this page:
- Faculty of Engineering Graduate Student Book and Code of Practice
- University of Leeds Research Student Handbook
- Lifecycle events and forms to download
- How to submit your Transfer Report
- Suspension and Extension requests
The Faculty's Graduate Student Book aims to provide all of the information research students need to begin their studies and make the most of their time at Leeds, and is given to all new students.
The Faculty's relationship with research students is formally defined in detail in the Faculty's Protocol for the implementation of the University Code of Practice for Research Degree Candidatures. This includes a clear summary of the main events during each research degree. (The 2011/12 Protocol, 2010/11 Protocol, 2009/10 Protocol, 2008/09 Protocol, 2007/08 Code of Practice and the 2006/07 Code of Practice are also provided for reference)
The University's Research Student Handbook provides information on the administrative and academic arrangements for research degree programmes, and directs you to the University’s Policies, Regulations and Codes of Practice that are relevant to research students.
- [Training Plan Form] This form is now no longer available. Students are now asked to use the 'My Training Plan' link in the Postgraduate Development Record to create and maintain their plan
- Initial Progress Review Form (6 months full-time, 9 months part-time)
- University Academic Integrity form (AISDE) for Transfer
- Transfer Report Form (for assessors)
- Annual Progress Review Form (all years except year 1)
- NEW Year 2 Progress Review (for use from end August 2013)
- Leavers Form (Protocol for any research student leaving the Graduate School)
Students must submit their Transfer Report to the Graduate School Office by the end of month 10 their first year (month 20 for part-time students).
Before you submit your Transfer Report, your supervisor will nominate your assessment panel for approval by the Postgraduate Research Tutor for your School. Please note that until the panel is recorded on your PDR record, you will not be able to upload the report. You will need to:
- upload to the PDR a copy in MS Word or Adobe Acrobat (in the format advised by the Supervisor)
- hand in two identical paper copies of the Transfer Report to the Graduate School Office (except School of Computing students, who should instead hand paper copies, if required, direct to supervisors.)
- upload to the PDR a completed Statement of Academic Integrity, Safeguarding Data and Ethical Requirements form
A sample of the reports submitted will be checked against an electronic database for evidence of plagiarism. Students are strongly advised to ensure they fully understand the definitions and implications of plagiarism as set out in the Research Student Handbook
Students seeking a formal suspension of studies or an extension to their final submission date are asked to see the Faculty Policy on Suspensions and Extensions, and complete the appropriate form.