The Faculty of Engineering is in a unique position as we're able to coordinate our teaching with specialist ethics staff from the national centre for Inter-Disciplinary Ethics Applied (IDEA) Centre based at the University.
With the Royal Academy of Engineering (RAEng), IDEA has:
With the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), IDEA has:
With the Institution for Engineering and Technology (IET), IDEA has:
The Centre supports research in engineering ethics. In particular, we have:
• Secured an Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) grant to work on climate ethics (with a significant focus on the engineering profession).
• Published in peer-reviewed academic journals on engineering ethics.
• Given guest lectures at other universities.
• Taught and supported PhD students at Doctoral Training Centres in Leeds and Cambridge.
• Supervised PhDs in engineering ethics.
• Worked on European-funded security projects, advising on ethical issues regarding the development of new technologies.
Other significant areas of the Centre’s work include:
• Being an expert witness on professional ethics at the Leveson Inquiry.
• Developing an ethical audit tool for engineering projects at the National Nuclear Laboratory.
For more information visit the Inter-Disciplinary Ethics Applied website.