Search site

Faculty of Engineering

ATAS requirements

Important information for non-UK/EU applicants - this only relates to our MEng programmes

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)
If you are an International (non-EU/EEA or Swiss citizen) applicant who has applied for, or intends to apply for, a course within the Faculty of Engineering and require a student visa to study in the UK then the following information is for you.

The UK Government’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) operate a scheme called the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS).  Several of our Taught Undergraduate Masters courses require an ATAS certificate for International Students. 

The courses affected by these changes are:

H410 MEng, BEng Aeronautical and Aerospace Engineering
H330 MEng, BEng Automotive Engineering
H300 MEng, BEng Mechanical Engineering
HHH6 MEng, BEng Medical Engineering (JACS Code will start with H3)
HH36 MEng, BEng Mechatronics and Robotics
H6B8 MEng, BEng Electronics and Computer Engineering
H800 MEng, BEng Chemical Engineering
H801 MEng, BEng Chemical and Energy Engineering
H891 MEng, BEng Chemical and Nuclear Engineering
HJ85 MEng, BEng Chemical and Materials Engineering
H851 MEng, BEng Petroleum Engineering

If you are made an offer of a place on one of the above courses, we will send you information about ATAS, the course JACS code and modules available on it – all of this is needed to submit your ATAS application.  Once you receive this, you can apply for an ATAS certificate via the FCO website. The ATAS application process is online and, once completed, your ATAS certificate will be emailed to you.

You can apply for an ATAS certificate up to 6 months before your course starts but please note that it can take a minimum of 20 working days to process at peak times so we advise you to apply for ATAS as soon as possible, and no later than one month before you need to apply for your Visa.

Each ATAS certificate is only valid for a specific course at a specific University.  If you apply for more than one course requiring an ATAS certificate, and are unsure which one you will accept, you  need to apply for an ATAS certificate for each one, even if all of the courses are at the same University.

Once you have your ATAS certificate, you will be able to apply for your Student Visa.  If you need an ATAS certificate and do not have one, your Visa application will be refused, which could result in you being unable to join your course.

For more information about ATAS can be found on International Student Office website.