Skills training for postgraduate research students
We offer more than 100 courses, workshops and practice events annually, designed to enable you to undertake successful research and gain valuable transferable skills – whatever your likely future employment.
Listed below is a selection of what we offer. For full details visit our website.
- Regular welcome lunches and induction events for all researchers on their arrival, including essential information; networking and getting started with your research degree via our bespoke Speed PhD workshop.
- Health and Safety training programme offering every researcher the opportunity to revise essential foundations, strengthen working practices and gain an internationally recognised H&S certificate.
- A wide range of IT workshops aimed to re-enforce data collection, analysis and management skills such as Labview, UNIX, Fortran and Matlab, plus computer programming, software and other digital skills training to support these skills.
- Tools for strategic career planning and management; including personalised careers advice; exposure to a wide range of employers; help with interview, CV and career-break management skills.
- Specialist training for those aiming at an academic career, including grant-writing and fellowship applications based on EPSRC and NERC requirements; learning and teaching skills.
- Regular networking opportunities to explore interdisciplinary or collaborative approaches with researchers across the University.
- Resources to discuss your academic writing or maths in informal researcher-led clubs. Taking part is an excellent way to meet other researchers, exchange views and experiences.
- An innovative annual programme called Make Some Noise around public engagement with science and engineering activities including schools and community outreach, public exhibitions, Faculty researcher conference with external speaker and non-specialist peer presentations.
Researchers will receive news updates and booking information about forthcoming activities throughout the year.