School of Earth and Environment
Earth Sciences Building
University of Leeds
Telephone: 44 (0) 113 343 8207
- PhD Candidate (Marie Curie Research Fellow) by the CFD Centre and Earth Sciences, Leeds, in “CFD modelling of sinuous submarine channels” under the supervision of Prof. D.B. Ingham, Dr. J. Peakall and Dr.A. Burns, 2006 to present;
- Laurea in Marine Environmental Sciences (Equivalent to Master degree) from the University of Pisa in 2006 with the thesis “Development of a procedure for meteo-marine forecasts validation”;
- Internship by the Laboratory for Environmental Modeling and Monitoring (LAMMA) of the CNR in Florence, 2005-2006;
- “Maturita’ Scientifica” from the Scientific Liceum Federigo Enriques, Livorno, 1999.
My interests range from Physical Oceanography to Dynamical Meteorlogy, since this is my background from undergraduate studies.
As a PhD student in Leeds I am involved in the numerical modelling of gravity currents and turbidity currents. In the last few years I have developed an interest towards numerical analysis, mainly Control Volume Method and CFD related modelling issues such as Turbulence Modelling, Moving and Deforming Meshes Algorithms and Multiphase Flows. I work extensively with FLUENT and CFX. My present research activity entails the CFD modelling of experimental gravity currents in complex geometries.
Research related experiences and duties:
I have been involved in activities within the department of Earth Sciences as demonstrator for the 2nd year Sedimentology course. In 2006 I have been travelling to the west coast of Ireland for field work with the students. I have also been involved in marking exams for the 2nd year Civil Engineering course and as invigilator at exams in the School of Earth and Environment.
As undergraduate student I have been involved in the 2008 MEDOC Oceanographic Campaign of the ENEA ( the Italian Enterprise for Alternative Energy Resources).
Attended Meetings and Publications:
- F. Giorgio Serchi, J. Peakall, D.B. Ingham, A. Burns, “How well can we model numerically an experimental gravity current”, British Sedimentology Research Group 2008, Birmingham.
- “The fundamentals and techniques in applicable fluid dynamics”, Leeds, 2007.
- Workshop on Multiphase flow modelling in ANSYS, 2007, Leeds.
Italian (native), English (TOEFL in 2006) and also a little bit of German and French.
Programming Languages and Software:
- FORTRAN77, C, Matlab.
- FLUENT, CFX, GAMBIT.
Travelling, photography, drumming, drawing.